for a quick no obligation quote call020 8930 5668 or enquire using the form below

    Non-Domestic EPC

    What is an Energy Performance Certificate for commercial Buildings?

    Since 2009 Commercial EPCs are now a requirement for all non domestic properties for sale, to let and on construction.

    A Non-Domestic EPC is more complicated than its domestic counterpart and involves more data and detailed information about the buildings thermal elements and HVAC systems where applicable.

    When do I need a Commercial Energy Performance Certificate?

    It is required at the point of marketing and should be made available to the applicant at the earliest opportunity. It is also required when the lease is renewed. It is usually done when the property is being let or sold and is valid for 10 years unless the thermal elements are changed. e.g. if double glazing is changed or the boiler is updated to a better model.

    What is the Energy Efficiency Rating?

    The energy efficiency rating is a measure of the efficiency of the property. The higher the rating the more energy efficient the property is and the lower the fuel bills will be.

    How does an assessor carry out a CEPC?

    The energy assessor will either draw up their own floor plans or require plans. They will then carry out a survey including all the thermal elements in the building including heating, ventilation, lighting, air conditioning, as well as the buildings structure.

    This information will then be fed into SBEM Simplified Building Energy Model. It is a piece of design software which is used to calculate the energy efficiency of the building.

    What are the penalties for not having an CEPC?

    The fine for non-compliance is 12.5% of the rateable value of the property, subject to a minimum of £500 and maximum of £5000. (Rateable Values are increasing as part of the Revised Rating List effective from 1st April 2010). This fine can be repeated every 7 days until an EPC is produced.

    In addition to the fact that the landlord/vendor can be fined for the omission of the EPC, agents are now also liable for a fine under the directive (EPCD) if they send literature/marketing material on a property that does not have an EPC.

    Who is exempt from having a CEPC?

    Exemptions include buildings that are scheduled for demolition or temporary buildings or those premises under 50 m2 and are detached.

    Other exemptions:

    • Places of worship.
    • Stand-alone building of less than 50 square meters (except for dwellings)
    • Temporary buildings with a planned time of use of 2 years or less Particular building with a low energy demand (e.g. barns)
    • In some circumstances buildings to be demolished are exempt from requiring a certificate.
    • An EPC is not required for any (off-plan) sales or letting before the construction of the building has been completed.

    Why carry out the improvements recommended on a property if it is not compulsory to do so?

    The Government’s aim is to reduce energy consumption. It is only a matter of time before business rates are linked to energy efficiency. EPCs are also compulsory for all buildings.

    The value of a property for sale or rent will be directly linked to its energy efficiency. Commercial properties are likely to have their rates links to energy efficiency. The Display Energy Certificate which tells the public how efficient the building is are also compulsory.

    Useful Links:

    Some companies now are only doing business with partners who have a carbon footprint of a certain level.

    The Commercial Energy Performance Certificate Improvements Report also provides you with the opportunity to improve your property’s marketability and value.

    What to consider when commissioning a non-domestic EPC?

    The Government’s aim is to reduce energy consumption. It is only a matter of time before business rates are linked to energy efficiency. EPCs are also compulsory. The energy performance certificate is an opportunity for you to improve you property’s marketability and value. The value of the property will have a direct correlation with how energy efficient it is in both letting and sales.

    Why choose EAL Consult for your CEPC?

    We can help you improve your property’s rating before the report is produced. We can also provide you with an updated report if improvements are carried out at a later date.

    Our improvement’s report will give you an analysis of how different recommendations will impact on the EPC.

    EAL Consult is well-placed to help you be compliant with the new laws and plan how to accurately and efficiently manage your commercial property, whether you run a small retail unit, a chain of factory units or large complex office blocks.

    Our assessors are fully qualified, accredited and insured professionals who will carry out all the necessary checks with the minimum of delay. Our coverage is nationwide. Our established relationships with agents, solicitors and investors testify to our professional attitude and understanding of the commercial world.

    EAL Consult assessors are here to help advise you on how best to make improvements on your property which will reduce your bills and improve the value of your property.

    What is involved in having a CEPC inspection?

    The information collated during the inspection is detailed and includes several elements of the building. The EPC can take from between 90 minutes for a small lock up shop to over a week for larger commercial premises. The inspection will include:

    • Analysis of building design
    • Detailed building plans (if not available)
    • Analysis of building fabric and what building is used for
    • Analysis of Lighting, Heating and Air Conditioning Systems
    • Analysis of building structure and calculation of insulation measures in place
    • Reports and graphs – diagnostics

    Facilities managers should provide any log books or maintenance information to the assessor.

    Energy Performance Certificates are carried out by qualified energy assessors who will collect the data on site and then process the information into SBEM (Simplified Building Energy Model) which will calculate the energy rating of the building. This is required as part of the EU directive (EPBD). The assessor will also have the discretion to add or delete aspects of the report in relation to what he thinks is most relevant or beneficial to the owner in terms of new technology and systems that will improve the carbon footprint of the building.

    Which Non-Domestic EPC?

    Each type of building requires a specific non-domestic energy assessor. Please see below for a guide on what is appropriate for your property.

    For commercial premises over 5 years old that are being sold or let:

    • NDEA Level 3 – Are energy assessors qualified to produce Energy Performance Certificates for shops, retail premises, small factory units producing less that 100kw of heating or less than 12kw of comfort cooling.
    • NDEA Level 4 – Larger more complex buildings e.g. medium sized industrial premises and property which may contain large air condition and building energy management systems. i.e. over 100kw of heating or over 12kw of comfort cooling.
    • NDEA Level 5 – Much larger buildings with complex structures

    For commercial premises undergoing works or new build

    A qualified SBEM assessor will do calculations and produce the as Built EPC.